School's out for summer, hurrah! I'm so, so tired and really looking forward to a rest next week - and perhaps a few lie ins! Another busy day today but I spent some time outdoors this evening, eating my dinner in the garden and reading about one of my favourite sharks...
A very interesting article. I learned that these sharks used to be hunted for their liver oil which was used for lighting in the 1700s! It was also used in machinery and cosmetics and their skins used to make sandpaper and leather. In the 1980s the market price of shark liver oil fell though they were still fished in the UK until 1997, when it became illegal to sell basking shark products. They were given full protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act in 1998. They're classed as a vulnerable species but based on sightings in recent years it is thought there's now a stable population, though no one knows for certain. They do still suffer by becoming tangled in fishing nets and getting caught as by-catch.
A really interesting read and that's what I've learned about Basking Sharks today. I'd love to see one (I'd really love to swim amongst them too!). This article is in the current issue (July/August) of Landlove Magazine if you want to read it. It also features harvest mice and wild swimming, amongst other things.
I love Whale Sharks too, they're stunning creatures. My friend just got back from a holiday in Mexico and she and her family swam with Whale Sharks while they were there, it looked amazing! They such gentle giants. I love Land Love too, I bought a copy for my Mum a while back as she loves it as well and I ended up reading the entire magazine cover to cover, it's so interesting. - Tasha
ReplyDeleteLovely to sit out doors with a meal and reading something of interest. Haven't bought Landlove or Landscape for a few months I might get one for autumn as I love the articles and photos. Hope you enjoy your time off and are able to relax and rest for a while:)
ReplyDeleteI know that feeling when it's summer time away from school, been there done that....
ReplyDeletehope you get to recharge over the summer and have some fun..
Amanda xx