Pages

Sunday, 12 July 2015

Day 42 - Identifying plants plus a little cucumber spider

Another quiet day today, my outdoor time today has been spent noticing a few things growing on the drive and then identifying them.

The first plant I looked at started flowering this week and I had no idea what it was.  It took a while to identify too as I'm ok with wildflowers but not so much the not-wild-garden-plants... I don't do gardening!

I've finally decided that this horrible pink thing that has come under the fence from next door is Japanese Spiraea (Spiraea japonica). I've not seen a single insect on this since I noticed it flowering and I don't like it at all.  I have an aversion to most pink things!


This one was just beginning to grow and I think it's another that is invading from next door and after a bit of searching I think this must be Aubretia just coming into flower and I'm not keen on this either!


This I noticed last week too, growing on top of the wall, below the laurel hedge next to my parking space.  I think it is White Stonecrop. I don't mind this - I'm happy for it to stay!


Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these identifications - I'm sure those of you who actually do any gardening will know these plants.

I also found a cucumber spider trying to climb up my car (but struggling on the slippery surface, it kept falling down).  He was relocated to one of the hedges.  I didn't need to look this one up - I already knew this species as it's one I've encountered before (like this one, a year ago in the garden) and I much prefer this little spider to pink flowers!









3 comments:

  1. Sorry to say but I am a pink lover, would be quite happy to have the flowers... is there no way I could change your mind :)
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure about the little purple flower being Aubretia because that tends to flower earlier in the year sort of March, April May time unless it is a late flowering variety. I don't mind pink flowers but I'm not that keen on what people call 'Barbie' pink - although I do have a pink t-shirt I'm fond of wearing because it is so comfortable:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos Louise. I like those pink flowers, shame you think they're horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...