Pages

Sunday, 26 July 2015

Day 50 - Riverside and Moorland

A 10.5 mile walk last Monday in the Yorkshire Dales, from Appletreewick, towards Bolton Abbey, up through the Valley of Desolation and over the moorlands around Barden Fell and Simon's Seat.

It started out a lovely day but then rained in the afternoon. It was a good walk though and there were lots of insects out in the morning.  I've written up the walk properly on the other blog but for this one (to avoid too much repetition for those who follow both blogs) I've just chosen a smaller selection of photos...


unidentified hoverfly

Grypocoris stysi on meadow cranesbill

unidentified hoverfly

there were flies, bees and soldier beetles on all the hogweed plants

oystercatcher
 
Sand martins
There's a video of the sand martins here on the other blog


Bog Hoverfly (Sericomyia silentis)

The very distinctive fly Tachina grossa

Great burnet

A red admiral, a bee, another Tachina grossa and a hoverfly on field scabious

River Wharfe

ringlet butterfly

The aqueduct above The Strid

sweet chestnut

Stinkhorn

The Strid

Common green grasshopper

Posforth Gill

A path through the horsetail




star moss



oystercatchers








3 comments:

  1. These are exquisite! Such detail and you saw so much! I love that hairy fly (who would've thought I'd say 'love' and 'fly' in the same sentence!) - the star moss is beautiful as are the Martins.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super photos Louise, some dramatic names for the places you visited on this walk too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the river Wharfe. There is so much wildlife there. Scabious are one of my favourite wild flowers.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...