I had a pretty quiet sort of wild day yesterday, on Day 41. I found myself by a large patch of nettles so crouched down amongst them for ten minutes and watched the insect life. I saw quite a few different things - flies, moths, the odd beetle - but didn't take many photos. I did capture...
A spotted cranefly (Nephrotoma appendiculata)
and a spider with a freshly caught fly...
At first I thought it was a type of crab spider, but I've identified it this morning as a 'candy striped spider' - Enoplognatha ovata (from Greek - Enoplos meaning armed, gnathos meaning jaw or mandible and ovata meaning egg shaped).
This one, with the two red stripes, is the redimita variant. I learned all this from the British Arachnological Society page, a website I often find myself on when I look up spiders!
Lovely spider, never seen that one.
ReplyDeleteAmanda xx
We were really pleased when our resident spider caught the horrid blue-bottle buzzing around our kitchen yesterday! Candy-striped spider- makes it sound almost friendly!x
ReplyDeleteNice captures, love the spider shot.
ReplyDelete