You might be surprised to hear that I didn't take many photos this time! Not for the want of trying though - moving birds, moving boat, moving sea - plus very bright sunshine at times. Not a good combination for photography!
The first sighting (other than gannets, cormorants and gulls) was a flock of Eider ducks flying by, which I did manage a quick snap of...
We spent a long time watching a Pomarine Skua - it stayed close to the boat, amongst the gulls for quite a long time and gave fantastic views - sitting on the water and flying by.
![]() |
| Pomarine Skua in flight |
| Pomarine Skua again |
I'm not sure if sea fog rolled in or we sailed into it, but it was rather grey out, though the sun did break through.
I liked the grey / silvery look.
A sandwich tern which had been sitting on the buoy, being chased off by a gull...
Back in the harbour at Bridlington, there were turnstones along the harbour wall. I didn't get a clear photo.
The RSPB (based a Bempton Cliffs here) run these cruises every year from May/June to September/October. All the cruises I've been on with them have lasted 3-4 hours and have been fantastic. It costs £20 per person but I think it's well worth that as it raises funds for the RSPB and the bird sightings are brilliant. I love the puffin and gannet cruise which goes along the cliffs and gets great views of the nesting colonies and the skua and shearwater cruise, which goes further out from the coast) was brilliant too. If you're ever in the area between May and October, I'd highly recommend you look our for the cruises and book a place!
Sunday's sightings included...
Eider ducks, various gulls, cormorants, gannets, guillemots, Arctic skua, great skua, pomarine skua, sooty shearwater, red throated diver, sandwich tern and harbour porpoises.


This really does look a worthwhile trip, even if just for those majestic cliffs!!!x
ReplyDelete