Pages

Monday, 12 October 2015

Day 134 - In the garden

I've had a fairly quiet day today after lots of busy days.

My first job was checking my spore prints. I brought a couple of mushrooms home yesterday for this purpose.


If you've not taken a spore print before, it's really easy - just cut the stalk off your mushroom and put it gills down on a piece of paper, cover with a bowl and leave it to drop its spores. I left mine for a couple of hours and got a nice print, then moved the same piece before I went to bed and in the morning had another good print. You might need black paper as well as white for this as some fungi have white spores.

I spent some time in the garden, in the sunshine, this morning listening to a buzzard calling as it circled overhead, watching flocks of goldfinches and long tailed tits and sitting next to the 'sparrow hedge' noting the quiet chirping and frequent movement within.

male house sparrow in a tree

I noticed honeysuckle berries and a fresh new daisy (and some clover and other flowers too) and finally read my Wild Derbyshire magazine which arrived quite a few weeks ago, along with one from the BTO which arrived last week.









1 comment:

  1. That spore print is impressive! I hate shrooms but this does look good!x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...