Pages

Sunday, 2 August 2015

Day 63 - Red Footed Falcon

Today I wanted to head into Stoke on Trent to see if I could see the Red Footed Falcon that has been hanging around there for three or four weeks.

On arrival, I learned that the bird had been perching on nearby wires for most of the day but flew off not long before I arrived.

Not to worry, I can wait! I had heard grasshoppers in the long grass so spent about an hour keeping one eye on the sky and the other on catching 'hoppers...


This one was just a baby and sat on my hand quite happily for some time...


Then I decided to have a little wander around as I'd never been to this area before. I hadn't got far when I spotted a falcon overhead, heading back to where it had been earlier!

I headed back and found several birders assembled, soon seeing where the bird had landed.

There was also a black redstart (but I didn't get any good photos of that at all).


The red footed falcon was really close (it flew right over me twice!) and I watched it for about two hours, perching on a fence and swooping down to the fields either side to catch insects.


#wildphotofail !


What a treat to see it so close and for so long!

I took a couple of multi shots at 60 frames per second and made a series of GIFs as the bird took off too - here are some links to those (randomly named by gfycat!)






3 comments:

  1. Wow, worth waiting for - what a beautiful bird, I've loved all your photos and gifs. I'd heard about the falcon via our local news and SWT but asumed it had perhaps moved on - looks as if it will stay a while longer, thanks for sharing your fabulous photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing photos of the bird and the grasshopper, though I am not feeling very loving towards grasshoppers at the moment as one had got into the loo which I didn't see and was making frantic escape bids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos Louise, great close ups of the Grasshopper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...