Pages

Thursday, 6 August 2015

Day 67 - Pond skaters

The common pond skater (Gerris lacustris)


Pond skaters are widespread water predators, 1-2cm in length, which 'skate' on the surface on ponds, slow rivers, lakes etc. and feed on smaller insects, stabbing them with their sharp mouth parts.  They have short forelegs (used to hold prey) and longer middle and hind legs. The hind legs act as rudders whilst the middle legs propel the insect across the water surface.





I like watching the pond skaters go about their pond skating business in the garden pond and I love to see all the different stages of development, from first instars to adult insects.



3 comments:

  1. Wonderful images..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cool! We used to have these in my childhood pond! And sticklebacks!x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...