Today I led a Wildlife Watch session for SWT. This is an indoor event, at a visitor centre and is for families to drop in during two 2 hour sessions. I didn't get to spend any time outdoors beyond putting out / getting in the trail pictures but I was doing nature crafts and helping children to 'go wild' so I think it counts!
The morning was quite busy with 13 children attending and staying for almost the whole two hours but then it started raining at lunch time and I just had 2 girls who came for an hour and a half of the afternoon session.
We painted rock bugs (the children had to go out and find their pebble before they could paint). One boy collected several pebbles and painted them all to build a caterpillar, one girl designed her own bug and ladybirds were popular. This was done by a little girl but photographed terribly due to red on red and the light!
As well as the rock bugs we had a trail set out (10 animal photos the children had to find and identify), an Alphabet Nature Challenge (find something in nature beginning with every letter of the alphabet - tricky!) and a colour matching with nature egg box activity (paint the inside of egg box in different colours then find things in those colours - like --> this <--)
This was the classroom after I tidied the morning chaos away and washed and refilled the paint pots...
The two girls who came in the afternoon had their own idea for an egg box craft and produced these pompom caterpillars (with a little help from the grown ups!)
My own bit of time outdoors was a short walk in the drizzle to collect in the ten trail pictures at the end of the day.
Those coots all rushed up to me but they were all disappointed as I didn't have any food!


Looks like great fun, I love the egg box catterpillars! I always feel guilty when the ducks, geese or coots come up and I have nothing to give them:)
ReplyDelete