Pages

Sunday, 10 April 2016

Day 315 - Stanton Moor

A quick loop around Stanton Moor this afternoon. It had been sunnier earlier in the day, when I was in Bakewell...



but by the time I got to the moor, it was cloudy with a chilly wind. I look forward to a little later in the year when the shield bugs, tiger beetles, dragonflies and hobbies are out!

As I often do, I started near the Cork Stone...









It was a rather drab walk, just a few birds singing. In this last photo, I've come full circle and am approaching the cork stone again.











4 comments:

  1. I'd love to be walking there! Drab brings out all the colours all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's still very drab around - can't wait for spring to start properly. Love the bent tree - a bit windy up there then! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drab is good!!! Drab in the fresh air!!! Why is it called the Cork stone!?x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's called that just because of the shape. From the angle in my first photo of it, it looks a bit like a cork. There are some better photos of it here - http://pecsaetan.weebly.com/the-cork-stone.html - which show the handholds that were put in by someone (in the 1800s) I think, and there is lots of old carved graffiti on it too. It's a natural, weather eroded formation.

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...