I thought I'd visited Cotton Dell since beginning this blog, but I hadn't. My last walk here was last April so pre-dates the wild blog! I always think to walk here in spring but never seem to visit during the other seasons. I do get stuck in seasonal ruts it seems, like I always go to Padley Gorge in autumn but not really the other seasons. I'm going to have to change that!
So, here's Cotton Dell in spring...
It's a river valley on an ancient woodland site (thought most old trees were felled in the past so I don't think there are any ancient trees remaining here). The path follows Cotton Brook and it's a lovely walk in spring with all the flowers and bird song.
| wood anemone |
These wire fairies are found in lots of places in the Churnet Valley and around Staffordshire. The creator lives here above Cotton Dell.
There are a range of habitats in Cotton Dell and it's a nature reserve managed by Staffordshire Wildlife Trust.
| wood sorrel - I nibbled a few leaves as I walked :) |
I love walking along with the sound of the brook. I made a short video though in reality, the brook isn't this loud! Really, it's a much gentler sound and you can hear the bird song as well, but my videos are just made on my bridge camera so never have good sound quality.
| butterbur, celandine and golden saxifrage are abundant along the brook here |
I saw my first bluebells of the year here! Just 3, in a sheltered spot. Fragrant, English ones too, not scentless Spanish or hybrid bluebells!
This walk can be made circular (as I've done in the past) by climbing up and out of the dell towards the end into the surrounding countryside, but today, I walked until I'd had enough and then turned back and returned to the car the same way.
It looks so beautiful and tranquil!!
ReplyDelete