I'm struggling with my knees at the moment (I have no idea what I've done but I've been in a fair bit of pain and limping quite often for three weeks now!) and today they were the worst they've ever been. Not to be defeated, I changed the plan to a short
As you can see on the map, it's not a long walk but it took up a good chunk of my afternoon as I was pretty slow with my knees that felt 90 years old!
I've never seen so many grey wagtails in one short stretch as I did here.
There's plenty of wild garlic here!
There were a few short showers
but mostly, the sun was shining
Across the water the bluebells are appearing in the woods
and there were lots of flies out today
I looked over a wall and spotted a curlew on the horizon
There were carpets of wood anemones in many places in the wood
I saw a couple of mistle thrushes too
Although I'm a fairly regular visitor to this area, this was the first time I'd walked in the woods behind the castle - I didn't actually know they existed until a few days ago! This is somewhere I'll wander again though, hopefully with fully recovered knees by then!
Those paths look so inviting. What kind of birdy is the yellow guy?
ReplyDeleteThe yellow bird with the beak full of flies and also the less yellow one in the first photo are grey wagtails. The first one is female, the more yellow one with the flies is the male.
DeleteWe also have yellow wagtails but those are all yellow and not so common.
Thank you! They're such pretty birds, and such a great shot you captured of the male eating flies!
Delete