The sun was shining again today, I spent some time outdoors at lunchtime noticing a rowan with yellow berries and a very colourful oak (I can't remember the type!) plus some very bright horse chestnut leaves...
Make room for nature every June with The Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild, no matter where you are or how busy your life! Complete A Random Act of Wildness every day for the month... anything that you can do in an average working day to bring a little nature into your life. Find inspiration at http://mywildlife.org.uk/30DaysWild/
The Oak looks like quercus rubra, the Red Oak, and the rowan looks like a variety called Joseph Rock. Both look amazing at this time of year! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for that. I knew the rowan was the Joseph Rock variety. I was sure I'd identified that oak before but couldn't remember what I thought it was and when I had a brief look at a few different ones last night I wasn't convinced by any! Probably is a red oak though, thanks.
DeleteWhat makes me say Red is your first picture - The varying depth of the leaf lobes you've captured there is, I believe, a trait of either a quercus rubra or velutina (Black Oak) and rubra is now established in this country. There's a bit of assumption on my part there though, if this was in a park or garden then it could be either, or a hybrid with something else! LOL!
DeleteI think it was the varying leaf shapes that confused me when I had a quick look last night. The tree just stands on the grass verge between a road and some fields, I must have a proper look at the bark and look for the acorns next time I drive past it to aid a proper ID!
DeleteThanks for your comment and identifying efforts anyway - I'm always happy to be told or corrected!
Gorgeous photos, the colours of Autumn are such a treat!
ReplyDelete