I spent much of the day in the Scottish Borders visiting various places and finally ended up at The Capon Tree for my last bit of time outdoors before driving back to Kielder. You can read about the tree here - http://www.jedburgh.org.uk/attraction-the-capon-tree
"The Capon Tree, a hollow oak, is one of the last survivors of the ancient Jed Forest, and could be 1,000 years old. The vast trunk, with a 10m girth, has split in two. It's one of the 50 most significant trees in the UK. It gets its name from the Capuchin monks who sheltered under it as they travelled to Jedburgh Abbey. It is also a former meeting place of the Border Clans and was once known as "The Hanging Tree".
Beautiful! I always enjoy meeting an old tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)