I parked near one of my Pa's old childhood homes, in Knotbury, and followed the lanes and stony tracks down to the old packhorse bridge where the three counties meet.
Knotbury, where my walk began, is pretty much the most northerly point in Staffordshire. Crossing the bridge below, over the stream dividing the counties at this spot, took me into Derbyshire.
This is the River Dane dividing Derbyshire and Cheshire...
The bridge is late 18th century and I think it's listed. The pool by the bridge is known as Panniers Pool.
Below is another bridge over the stream on the Staffordshire / Derbyshire border.
Three Shire Heads has some quite interesting history with the packhorse trails, apparently used well into the 19th century around here as it was far easier for a horse to traverse the moors than a wagon. This was also the spot where criminals (and coiners from nearby Flash) would come as they could evade the law by county hopping in the days where police were only able to act within their own county!
I sat down in Staffordshire for my picnic - if that's not too grand a term for a caramel wafer and some flask flavoured hot chocolate!
After sitting for a while here, contemplating next time bringing a three course picnic and eating a course in each county (perhaps containing some sort of county food for each one too!), I decided to head onwards. Initially, I'd planned to just retrace my steps back to my car but sitting by the bridge, I decided I'd stay in Staffordshire and take the longer route back. This is a view looking back towards the packhorse bridge...
then onwards...
| another look back |
| mistle thrush (I saw a few on this walk) |
| kestrel |
| lovely larches! |
All the gorse / heather / bilberry plants were covered in webs.
Another day, another great walk!
Oh Louise, your photos! That mist is dreamy, the way it hangs there and the droplets glisten, and I can imagine that the noise was slightly muffled too, making it even quieter. It's funny, down here, autumn has been a riot of colour, either flaming golden trees or bright blue skies, but your autumn looks misty and muted, but no less beautiful. And I think a Caramel Wafer and hot chocolate is the picnic of champions, frankly. x
ReplyDeleteThank you! We've had a really sunny, colourful October here too - up to the last few days that is!
DeleteYour fog pictures are so splendorous. I always think fog is such a cozy time to walk. It feels like you're wearing the sky like a shawl.
ReplyDeleteI love the mist in these shots, it really adds atmosphere to these! This area looks gorgeous too, I can see why it's a beauty spot for the area - I love the place you stopped by the bridge, that little pool near it is just my kind of place to sit. I must make a trip to see this area someday as you always post lovely photos! - Tasha
ReplyDelete