A rainy day today for Day 13 and a very long post!
I fancied a trip to Poole's Cavern as I haven't been since last summer so today I decided to explore the natural world beneath our feet. I love Poole's Cavern - I first visited when I was 6 or 7 and have been so many times since that I lost count years ago! Those of you reading here who also read my main blog will, I'm sure, have seen this cave many times before!
Let's go in...
Hanging from the roof below is a huge stalactite known as The Flitch of Bacon.
In the Poached Egg Chamber the stalagmites have orange tips. You can find out why this is by having a look at the 'geology' page on the website.
If you've never been to Poole's Cavern, it's well worth a trip - hopefully the photos have convinced you of that! It's a two million year old natural limestone cavern in Buxton, Derbyshire, with a woodland/country park above and magnificent geology below! The cave is a designated SSSI. There's a Go Ape next door too so you could make a weekend of it! Find out more at http://www.poolescavern.co.uk/plan-your-visit/
After the underground adventure, I walked into town via the park. I stopped to smell some roses and had a look what other flowers I could find.
I said hello to the muscovy ducks (and mallards and pigeons) and was amused when I heard a mother tell her curious daughter that these 'funny looking ducks' were ducks crossed with turkeys!
I also discovered a wildflower meadow in an area I haven't walked in for about 15 years!
I will have to revisit the wildflowers in a few weeks and see how it's looking and what insects I can find! What did you do for 30 Days Wild today - and what are you doing tomorrow?!

What a super post, fantastic photos Louise. I had a Cave visit listed as one of my activities for 30 Days Challenge too, will have to look at the link you've posted for the cave. How did you take such good photos in the dark?
ReplyDeleteHiya!!! I really want to go back to Pooles cavern- so amazingly beautiful!!! Love the wildflower meadow too, such a sight. My 30days wild yesterday er-didn't happen as I was at school till 7for the fair and was shattered and totally forgot! Today, I gardened for 3hours and made a woodpile!x
ReplyDeleteLovely photos Louise - from dark to light, from inside to out lots of great things to see. The wildflower meadow is wonderful - had to chuckle at the muscovy being half turkey! Yesterday as it was so wet I went into the garden to look for woodlice but found more slugs and snails and wet slimy creatures so used those instead. I'll look for woodlice later on. Not sure about today as we're sort of trapped in most of the day by the "potters' 'arf" so it may have to be the garden again:)
ReplyDeleteInteresting to see below ground though I must admit I prefer the flowers. The woman's comment did make me laugh. x
ReplyDeleteLove the cave photos, we have quite a few caves up in Yorkshire being Lime stone as well, but not been to one fore a long time, might have to go on my summer list.
ReplyDeleteThe wild flower meadow looks a good spot, on a sunny day hopefully lots of insects. Very wet here to day did pay a visit to my Plantlife site and called at Harlow carr, Harrogate and bought " A Buzz in the Meadow " by Dave Goulson. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to next week..
Amanda xx
Great Cave photos. Would love to visit and explore. Helge (from 365)
ReplyDelete