I've been to Bempton Cliffs before and I've been on one of the Yorkshire Belle's cruises before too but it's worth doing again (and again!).
An overnight stay in Hull meant it was only about a one hour long drive to Bridlington (as opposed to four hours from home!) where I boarded the Yorkshire Belle in the harbour. This is the view from the hotel early on Sunday morning (The Deep is in the centre).
The view from Bridlington Harbour
The Yorkshire Belle
One of the many Kittiwakes nesting on the harbour wall.
We're off!
Sea ducks... I don't know what kind.
The lighthouse at Flamborough
Shags
Guillemots
Puffin
A gull eating a dead gannet
Gannet striking a pose
Gull eating a chick
Shag flying past
Can you see that tiny speck on the horizon, a little right of the centre below? (You may need to enlarge the photo!)...
Well I tested my new zoom on it... not bad!
I love the seabird cruises here - so many birds to see and the views down on the sea are fantastic, with birds all around - bobbing on the water close to the boat and flying overhead. This wasn't my first RSPB cruise aboard the Yorkshire Belle and it won't be my last.
After three hours on the boat, it was time for some lunch in Bridlington before heading on to Bempton Cliffs for a quick visit before the four hour drive home.
I walked up to Jubilee corner and stopped to look at the birds there, before wandering back stopping at all the other view points.
There's the Yorkshire Belle again, seen from the cliff tops at Jubilee corner.
There's the dead gannet again too, but this time it's an Arctic skua feasting on it.
Razorbills
A gannet and a chick
Gannet feeding chick
Guillemot chick
A bit of pair bonding...
Kittiwakes
Gannets and Guillemots
Have you even been to RSPB Bempton Cliffs? It's worth a trip! I'll be doing it again in October!

What a wonderful weekend you've had - I love your photo of the puffin on the rocks:)
ReplyDeleteSuper photos, love all the different sea birds you've managed to photograph. The Puffin has always been one of my favourite birds, haven't seen one in the wild yet though.
ReplyDeleteVisit Bempton Cliffs in June and you'll see plenty!
DeleteThis has got to be one of my favourite Wild posts so far - your Cormorant photos are stunning - I've only ever seen one in the bay down at Dartmouth. I must get down to Bempton at some point, the place looks stunning. Lovely post Louise! - Tasha
ReplyDeleteIf I wasn't so seasick I'd love to do this trip. I'll have to stick with viewing them from terra firma. The gannet photos are just amazing particularly the close up. Loved the video of them too. x
ReplyDelete