Pages

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Day 30 - The sun sets on 30 Days Wild

The last day of June, the final day of 30 Days Wild!


Today I worked half a day and when I got home the power was off. It was a scheduled interruption, from 9am - 4pm. Usually I do some cleaning and/or go on the computer and then take my Grandmother shopping on a Tuesday but without power, the cleaning and computing had to wait, so in the hour or so I had free before shopping, I sat in the garden with my book (and toasted teacakes and lemonade)...


Not my greatest plan given that I'm not a sun worshipper at all and the garden is south facing with no shade, but it was about half an hour spent outdoors, listening to the birds and the hum of all the bees. Reading wasn't easy as I could barely see in the bright sunlight but I did make myself get through a chapter before I gave up and went indoors!


There had been a blackbird and a sparrow having a splash in the pond whilst I read, which made me think that the bees or other bugs might like to have a little place to drink too so I gathered a few supplies and then set up a little insect watering hole down in the one shady corner of the garden, where my bug house and log pile are.



Later in the evening (when it has cooled down a bit!) I decided to take my book out again and have a 'pudding picnic' whilst the sun set!  I grabbed desserts, a book and a jacket (I knew there would be a cool wind blowing on the moorlands) and set out...


(By the way, if you've never had raspberry tiramisu, you really should! They're so good!) 

I was a bit later than planned heading out, but I still had plenty of time to read before the sun disappeared.


I chose a quiet spot and sat down amongst the grasses




I listened to the calls of grouse, curlews, lapwings and lots of little birds too. A hobby flew by as well.









The sun has set on 30 Days Wild


Though that doesn't mean the end of my wild adventures! Once the sun had gone down, the blue hour began...


I realised I'd not tried out the new camera on the moon so I took a few photos ...


and then observed our two brightest planets, Venus and Jupiter, in conjunction.  This conjunction happens every year (I've photographed it before) but this year they're a bit closer together and there won't be another conjunction like this one until 2023.


This may be the end of 30 Days Wild but it's certainly not the end of my Random Acts of Wildness! Readers of my main blog will already know that I've always been partial to those so lots of my wild June days featured things I'd have been doing anyway! I'll still be blogging regularly on my main blog (please ask if you'd like a link) but I'll keep this one going I think - just probably not for daily posting - I'm ready for a break from so much blogging / computer time! In fact I'm rather inclined towards 30 Days Asleep right now!

Before I go, here's my wallchart...


Four days I still need to sort out but it's nearly done!  I'll share a picture of the finished version here (hopefully) tomorrow.

Thank you to The Wildlife Trusts for such a brilliant June! 



2 comments:

  1. Love the sunset shots Louise and the insect watering hole too, that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sunset photos - and I love your wall chart drawings and entries:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...