Pages

Monday, 22 June 2015

Day 20 - The Deep

I've been away for the weekend (hence the lack of posts for the last couple of days!).

On Saturday I drove to Hull and visited 'The Deep'. I hadn't been before. I didn't know anything about it until Saturday morning so it was a last minute decision but an excellent way to spend Day 20!


The Deep is a fantastic place! It's run for conservation rather than profit. There's so much to see, so much to learn and the displays are brilliant. Far superior to any other aquarium type place I've visited before and a very reasonable entrance fee (£11.75) which gives you entry for a whole year if you want it!  I spent 4 hours there and I'd highly recommend visiting if you are ever in the area! I will definitely visit again.


Here's the website so you can find out more --  https://www.thedeep.co.uk/ -- and these are just a few of the photos I took...




Moon jellyfish...





Gentoo penguins...


Bluespotted stingray


Bluespotted ribbontail ray


Feeding time!




Green sawfish - very exciting as I'd never seen a sawfish before!


Honeycomb stingray


Clown fish in anemones


I loved these Spotted garden eels... like little dinosaurs poking out of the sand!


Purple jewel beetles

Black beauty stick insect

Grey reef shark

Red tailed catfish

Macleay's spectre stick insect

Atlantic sea nettle

White spotted jellyfish


This sleeping wolf eel was one of the cutest things I saw all day! Another animal I'd never seen before.


Common lobster


Red bellied piranha

Axolotl

Madagascan hissing cockroaches

African sun beetles

Tanzanian red-legged millipedes



I'd not heard of The Shark Trust until I saw a poster at The Deep but later that evening, I joined. Just £30 for a year to help protect our sharks.


In the evening, I drove further up the coast to see the sea! I haven't been to the coast for almost two years so it was a bit exciting, but I didn't have much time at all - I spent 10 minutes there then drove back to Hull as I'd booked a hotel right opposite The Deep for a night.


The reason for the overnight stay in Hull was because I needed to be in Bridlington by 9:30am on Sunday for a boat trip and it's about a four hour drive from home (as opposed to 1 hour from Hull!). See the next post for Day 21's coastal adventures!






5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing place!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a great place, Louise. I never thought an eel could be cute but they are, lovely to see the sea, I'm hoping to see it later this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great trip! It's fantastic to hear that you discovered the Shark Trust through your trip to The Deep - thanks for becoming a member and supporting the work that we do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a great place. Love the clown fish. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...