Pages

Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Day 9 - Early Birds

Day 9 was all done and dusted before I left for work this morning!


I'm really not a morning person so I didn't think 'dawn chorus' was a very realistic option for me to do this month. I've never got up for the dawn chorus before because I'm so hopeless at mornings but today, I suddenly woke up at about 4:25am and got out of bed! I looked out of the bathroom window and saw mist in the valley, like in autumn, and after a few moments weighing up whether to get back into bed or not, I decided to seize this rare opportunity where I was actually upright and conscious before 5am and go out for the dawn chorus!


I know I'm a bit too late for it really, and some birds that I would have heard a couple of weeks ago (and have heard from a semi conscious state in bed!) are not singing any more but there were still plenty of birds to be heard! I went out at about 4:40, in pyjamas and flip flops, taking a cup of tea and my camera.


I did make a few videos whilst I was out... nothing too long!



There was a very light frost on the grass. It had been a cold night and it was a cold morning!

steaming hot tea :)



I spent a few minutes stood in a corner by the hedge where I noticed some cuckoo spit and then had a close encounter with a wren who landed right next to me on a branch and sat for perhaps 30 seconds. I wish I could have taken a photo, but obviously, I had to stand perfectly still!



More frosty grass photos


Once the sun made it above the horizon, the mist disappeared fast


and the garden started to light up!


Then all the sparrows came out of the hedges!

I had a baby sparrow perfectly positioned on that branch - but guess what happened as I pushed the button?!!

The garden is full of "sparrowlings" at this time of year, I love watching them!


A couple of wood pigeons joined the sparrows by the feeder too, then two young starlings came visiting again.


I stayed out for about 40 minutes and came indoors frozen - a hot shower was very welcome this morning!

Every year, I tell myself that one morning, early in May, I will get up before dawn to enjoy the dawn chorus but every year, sleep wins! Next spring I really must do it!



7 comments:

  1. Love those misty morning shots of the birds, Louise, stunning! I thought it would be better to join in in the end. I was very busy and stressed the other week which is why at the time it seemed like it would take over too much but actually it's done the opposite and has been reducing my stress so it's worked out well! Love the videos you shot too, the birdsong is beautiful! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, Louise - I love early mornings although not quite so early perhaps but I was awake at the same time as you listening to the blackbird running through his repertoire after he'd finished the pigeons started. Your photos are wonderful and very atmospheric:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful photos and SUCH a good idea. I WISH I could get out of bed early, I just fail all the time!!! So lovely to hear bird song. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually fail! I'm a night owl - I am not good at going to sleep and can easily stay up for half the night, but no matter what time I go to sleep I just can not wake up. I'm terrible for sleeping through all my alarms - the stories I could tell, hehe! The early start has totally caught up with me now though, I could go to bed now at 6pm!

      Delete
  4. Lovely set of photos, misty mornings I just love...
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and cool act of random wildness Louise. Nothing beats hearing the birds sing first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked at dawn chorus events but, like you, couldn't face getting up that early! Your beautiful photos showed it was worth while though. I still find it funny that starlings are so rare where you live. I have dozens in my garden - in fact they've been nesting in the eaves of the houses on either side of me so we have lots of fledglings around now too. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...