I do casual work for one of the local Wildlife Trusts (mainly during school holidays) and spent about 4 hours today in a country park doing outdoor, natural play activities with children. Great fun!
Activities on offer included den building, pond dipping, bug hunting, mud painting, dragon fly making and make your own miniature garden. I spent most the of the time between bug hunting and pond dipping :)
| mud painting station |
| tadpoles and tiny fish |
A barefoot walk - a simple creation with a few natural materials in two long trays.
There were absolutely loads of common blue butterflies around!
I saved this soldier beetle from drowning in the pond.
and rescued this spider before it got dipped too!
With a fair bit of patience, we managed to catch a fish! Anyone know what type it is?!
| stick dragonfly |
One of the den builders discovered an empty nest. We weren't sure which bird would have made it.
Looking for bugs underneath rocks...
...worms and ants mainly!
All creatures featured in this post were released safely from bug pots etc and returned to the wild unharmed :)
This is how my weekend wallchart looks...
I rounded off day 7 by eating my dinner in the garden with a refreshing cider, watching the bees and listening to the birds.
| There was a bee in shot here - until I pushed the button! |
One week done! I'm really loving 30 Days Wild!


I can't believe all the nature you found. Looks like it was a fun day. X
ReplyDeleteThat looks like fun. We do pond dipping at our local country park but never find that selection of wildlife!! Sarah
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful day, you managed to find so much, been to windy again here for butterflies, but pond dipping is on my list of things do this week.
ReplyDeleteAmanda xx
This is the ultimate 30 days wild- you have inspired taught on a variety of levels!x Just in the process of writing mine up!x
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like so much fun! There's an event near us next weekend which I'm hoping to go to do some of these activities. Loving your wall chart too - so inspiring. x
ReplyDeleteSuper post, what a great way to spend the day Louise. Looks like the children were treated to a fun day with plenty to do and see. A well earned cider!
ReplyDeleteWhat a super day with so many activities to engage the children and adults too. Nice to end a busy but happy day with food and cider in the garden:)
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had an amazing day, I love the shot of the Soldier Beetle! - Tasha
ReplyDelete