Pages

Monday, 8 June 2015

Day 8 - A Log Pile House

Week 2 of 30 Days Wild begins with World Oceans Day. I live too far away from the coast to do anything ocean related today, but I did take a minute to sign an ocean related petition...


If you don't do anything else wild today, please have a look at the link above - a campaign for 17 protected areas around our coast for whales, dolphins, porpoises and basking sharks. 


My main wild activity for Day 8 was something quick and simple in the garden.


On arriving home from school, I walked into the kitchen and saw four young starlings on one of the bird feeders. It's the first time I've ever seen starlings around here.  By the time I switched on the camera, three has flown away but this one lingered just a little longer.


It was sunny when I took the photos above but by the time I was ready to go out into the garden, it had started raining.

My first job was to raid the log pile ...


Then I used my haul to build a 'Log Pile House' in a corner at the bottom of the garden. I put a larger piece of wood in first, then added what I'd taken out of the log shed.


I was working underneath a very gloomy sky and the rain got heavier!


I've never built a log pile for wildlife before but I didn't think I could go too wrong with it (correct me if I'm wrong!).  I chose a corner that won't be disturbed and that gets some sunshine but also plenty of shade.


It's not big enough for a snake (which is a shame as grass snakes do visit the garden) but it should be fine for newts and frogs, and of course the bugs! Perhaps the wood mice or other small mammals will make use of it too.

I don't think this was a prime choice of wood for the job, but this is what's in the pile at the moment. It'll need replenishing every so often anyway so I'm not too worried - I'm sure something will make a home in it as it is and I can save good logs for future log pile habitats!

Once that was finished, I spent a bit of time wandering around the garden, quite enjoying the gloom and listening to the falling raindrops.

Log pile in the corner

I got back inside a few minutes before the heaviest rain passed over!


Once the rain had passed, I opened an upstairs window and admired the colours of the buttercup fields and trees...



How did you go wild today?!





5 comments:

  1. Great idea, adding a woodpile, especially an unused wood pile which won't be disturbed!! We're really enjoying being wild, my little boy took his wall chart into school today to show his teacher. Boys aren't always keen to do writing, but he's started a journal for 30 days wild. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly went wild at all today. I did film a snail when I got home but have been struggling to upload it to share so no post from me tonight :-( Looking forward to seeing what moves into your log pile. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many buttercups!!! Mine was one of the simple suggestions from the Wildlife trust suggestions and yours- you'll have to wait to see what!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like woodpiles, especially when they're left at the bottom of the garden. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to see those buttercup fields from your home. The wood pile looks good and will be a wonderful safe retreat for lots of wildlife:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...