Day 15 - That's half way through!
Today 30 Days Wild felt like too much. I'm feeling a tad stressed about work at the moment and I had to work a bit extra at short notice today which meant I had less time and quite a bit to do this afternoon. I really didn't know what to do and I really didn't want to do anything wild today. I wanted to get on the computer and get things done.
However, I committed to this so I'm doing it! Just to do something to get me outdoors, I took mother's dog for a walk. It wasn't a long one; the dog turned 15 a couple of weeks ago so doesn't walk as far as she used too and is ready to head home after a short time.
Before I set off, I had a quick look around the garden, just in case there was anything interesting around, and I spotted a beetle.
Sadly it was injured so I took a few photos and left it to die... (I was tempted to just squash it, but I don't like doing that so decided to leave it to nature. I did move it under the hedge).
Then I went off to walk the pooch. I like how the area had lots of rougher areas and is being managed really well for wildlife now - there have been lots of recent improvements - some trees thinned out, bird boxes installed, more areas left to grow wild and meadow-y and so on.
I spotted this tiny thing on a stem...
... at first glance I thought it was a tiny snail, but it wasn't. I don't know what it is. This is a crop of the above photo for a closer look...
There is the old girl, she had a hair cut last week.
I had a look in the pond to see if I could see the newts today. I could - lots of them.
I spotted a nice woodpile in the corner too - might have a poke around it one day!
I stopped to sniff the roses and watch the bees.
I found a click beetle on a nettle.
I also found a shaggy ink cap...
Later on, I decided to go down the garden and retrieve that burying beetle if it was still there for a closer look (as you do!). I collected the dead beetle and then got completely sidetracked after discovering a lime hawk moth sat on the coal bunker. I've never seen one in the flesh before, I was a bit excited!
So from not knowing what to do and not really wanting to do anything, I ended up having a really good wildlife encounter in the garden! I really enjoyed getting out on both occasions today - 30 Days Wild is so good! The only downside is I still have those work related things I need to get done... hey ho.
I wonder what tomorrow's wild adventures will bring?!




Wow that moth looks amazing, I never really appreciate insects but he is beautiful. :)
ReplyDeleteI remember finding the hawk moth in my garden last year and how exciting it was. I keep looking but haven't seen any more. They're amazing looking things. Know what you mean about 30 days wild. At the moment I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to keep going for another 2 weeks - it's the thinking of something different that's hardest and something which fits in with working full time. I'm not giving up though! x
ReplyDeleteWell done for getting out, that looks a great place to walk. Love the pond! Wish I had moths that size in my garden, great shots Louise.
ReplyDeleteThat moth looks furry!!! HOW did you get it on your hand!!??!?!/x
ReplyDeleteIf a moth is happily resting on a wall or whatever and you gently put your finger in front of it and just gently touch the legs, it'll walk on to your finger. This one climbed up my hand and sat there for ages - I had to nudge him off, back on to the wall. You can tell when they're going to fly away as they start vibrating their wings, warming up ready to fly.
DeleteDoes this work with all moths? And butterflies?x
DeleteNo... unless there's a knack to it, haha! I don't think it works on butterflies at all, it will work on larger moths if they're a bit sleepy but I've not managed it was any micro moths yet! Just give it a try but don't be surprised if they fly away - that's what I do!
DeleteIt's hard to keep up with 30dayswild, some days. . . .anyway, well done. Your hawk moth is beautiful, great photos! Sarah
ReplyDeleteYou did very well on a day that you'd have rather done other things. Great photos of the moth:)
ReplyDeletei have just had a wonderful look through at all your 30 days of wild posts! soooo much enjoyed your adventures! really wonderful wildlife and great you have captured them sooo beautifully with your camera ;) , i started mine on Monday...so im a bit behind most peoples posts...but still enjoying it ;)
ReplyDeletethat moth is amazing! and especially love the misty meadows ;)
Delete