Pages

Sunday, 13 October 2019

Wild October Day 12

After an overnight stay in sheffield (I saw Gary Numan live last night) I decided to head home via a quick stop at Curbar Gap to get in a 'daily al fresco cuppa' from Jolly's.  I was hoping for a hazelnut praline hot chocolate of course, but it wasn't on the menu (maybe next time!) so I had a cup of Darjeeling and a chocolate and pistachio shortbread.


I planned to just sit and enjoy the view and then head home and think about spending some proper time outdoors later but sitting on Curbar Edge, I decided to just have 'a little wander' whilst I was there. Four miles later, I got back to the car!

I walked along the top of Curbar Edge and then headed down into the woods. I couldn't resist, this is a lovely wood to wander in.







 I saw a couple of fox moth caterpillars, as well as a speckled wood butterfly and a bumblebee.










Horses's hoof fungus



Earthball

Turkey tail (Trametes versicolor)

Burying beetle (Nicrophorus vespilloides)


Birch polypore

There was a lot of silver birch all over the woods and I couldn't just walk past it (I've a fire to do next week at work and two the following wood - good kindling is always needed!) and whilst collected a good bundle (as much as I could carry!) I kept spotting this fungus. I've no idea what it is ... my best guess is stagshorn but it doesn't have the shape and that just doesn't seem quite right to me. Whatever it is, I left any wood with fungus behind to carry on their existence in the wood.



Artist's bracket









Amethyst deceiver





How was your weekend?




2 comments:

  1. My weekend was busy. Walked Riley on Saturday morning, then saw Les Miserables at the theatre. I was tired come the evening. Sunday was all about visiting an apple festival at a local nature reserve. I bought lots of apples and enjoyed a tour of an orchard. Your walk looks wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your 'little wander' it's easy to keep going when it's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...