Pages

Saturday, 5 October 2019

Wild October Day 5


Today is UK Fungus Day so there were fungi trails happening at Ecclesall Woods organised by the city council . I thought it'd be interesting to go along and it was! There was a self guided trail as well as some guided walks and there was plenty of fungi to be found...


Earth ball with a parasitic bolete

Artist's bracket fungus

Angel's bonnet

Burnt knight

some kind of jelly fungus

unknown (I don't know and the guides didn't know either)

unknown (I don't know and the guides didn't know either)

Amethyst deceiver

Amethyst deceiver

Dead moll's fingers

Dead man's fingers

Dead man's fingers

Hairy curtain crust

Earth balls with parasitic bolete

Oak pin fungus

Hen of the woods

Hen of the woods

Deceiver

White saddle

unknown

some kind of bracket fungus

Jelly baby fungus

Jelly baby fungus

Jelly baby fungus

Burnt knight

Burnt knight

Puffball and Jelly baby

Puffball

Puffballs

Amethyst deceiver

White saddle

Sulphur tuft

Bolete

Amethyst deceiver

unknown

unknown

Crested coral

sulphur tuft


I also got in my daily al fresco cuppa at Scarthin Books ☺ I called there before going to Sheffield as today is also Bookshop Day! I sampled the courgette and hazelnut cake too. 👍


I was long overdue a visit to Scarthin, I walked down The Promenade back to my car wearing a very happy 'I've just been to the bookshop' face!!











5 comments:

  1. You had a beautiful walk seeing a nice variety of fungi. I would love to have a piece of that pie as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the id of these fungi. I am a novice when it comes to fungi but will keep a closer eye out for these species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo many!!!! You know I HATE EATING mushrooms but I am utterly fascinated by these- they have such quirky names. Is Hen of the Woods same as Chicken of the woods? You can eat that one I thought! The Jelly baby is really funny and the dead men's fingers is really creepy. Angel Bonnet is quite enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, chicken of the woods is a much brighter colour. Hen and chicken are in the same family but two separate types of mushroom, both edible.

      Delete
  4. Well done for learning the names of the different fungi - I've sort of given up as I always forget the ones I do learn by the next year, so never get very far!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...