Pages

Friday, 12 June 2015

Day 11 - Flora and Fauna

A day with lots to do and without much of a plan to fit in something for 30 Days Wild, but it turned out to be a lovely day!


After work then doing some chores, I had a seat booked at my favourite cinema to see Far From the Madding Crowd. I didn't have a great deal of time but I left about 45 minutes earlier than I needed to, swung by Waitrose to gather a 'picnic' (no time to cook/make today!) and decided I'd stop somewhere on the way and eat outside. I had an idea in mind...


Picnic is a very grand term I feel for this event! To me, picnic implies more than one person, a blanket spread out, a variety of food, lazing in the sunshine - and not forgetting lashings of ginger beer!  My picnic was just me, sitting amongst the flowers surrounded by spiders and cuckoo spit with my tiny shop bought pasta!

 
I took the sweep net out of the boot too to see what might be lurking amongst the flowers but then I didn't use it much as I didn't want to disturb the froghopper nymphs in the cuckoo spit which was everywhere! I did catch a few bugs though...

A springtail
cuckoo spit (the froghopper nymph lives in the bubble cocoon)

I got a bugs eye view on things too...


Does anyone know what crawled out this cocoon-y thing?



I spent 30 minutes here in the sunshine and then I went onwards to the cinema. I really enjoyed the film - and it was true to the book :)

Leaving the cinema and walking down the street, I met a bumblebee walking alongside me... I stopped to look at him for a moment and then decided I'd better move him out of the way of all the feet that were heading out of the cinema behind me. I put my finger down near the bee and he climbed on, then I lifted him up onto a wall with plants along the top.

I love the drive home from the cinema, especially at dusk. It's peaceful, it's quiet - it's just me and my thoughts and I usually see some wildlife (earlier in the year I had a close view of a barn owl!) and tonight it was a badger - it crossed the road in front of my car and made it safely into a field. That was lovely as I haven't seen a (living) badger since... this one - in the garden in 2012!

I also stopped to admire a favourite tree and the sunset


and then stopped again a little later to watch a bat flying around. I'm not sure what kind it was.









3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous field. Having a picnic is on my list too - did you know it's National Picnic Week next week? And just to show great minds think alike, I had the same (Sainsburys version) pasta yesterday! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super photos Louise, looks like you had a great evening sat off with that field all to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely Louise, a bugs eye view of the countryside, a good film and the saving of a bee, plus bats and badgers. What a great night you had:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...