I had an outdoor tea break between rain showers in my garden this afternoon and had been planning to do a bit of bug hunting whilst I was outdoors.
I was having a look at the flowers - I'm still discovering what is growing in this garden...
| Can anyone tell me what this is?! |
when I noticed a tree bumblebee, not looking too good.
Time to mix up a little sugar water and give it a drink...
It wouldn't drink from the spoon so I put some sugar water on the stone.
I made short video of his tongue!
It started to rain, quite big raindrops, so I tried to shelter the bee.
I was quickly soaked, I could feel rain droplets running down my back, so decided to grab the mugs and the bee and head indoors for a while! I'm so glad I did as the rain became really heavy!
The bee sat on my hand drinking for a whole twenty minutes!
Then with perfect timing, just as the bee stopped drinking and started getting ready to fly, the rain stopped and the sun came out (briefly)!
A couple of seconds after I took the photo above, off he flew, out through the door and back into the garden :)
I'm so glad I took my tea break when I did and was able to help the bee!
A look back...
On day 11 last year I spent a whole day rock pooling at Treardurr Bay in Anglesey - brilliant!
The year before I had an evening picnic, just me and some bugs, amongst the flowers.

How fantastic, lovely moment with the bee! I can't help with the flower i'm afraid I struggle myself!
ReplyDeleteLove the video of the bee's tongue! The flower at the top is a white rose campion, lychnis coronaria 'alba'. I have a load of them in the garden too.
ReplyDeleteThank you... was hoping you'd stop by sometime - I knew you'd know what it was!
Delete