Pages

Thursday, 29 June 2017

Day 29 - Raindrops





I found a little wasp in the kitchen this morning and took it outside. I think this is one of those wasps I've discovered recently that lay their eggs in aphids. I've seen them quite often in the garden over the years without realising they were little parasitic wasps!



After a full day of running around, very busy, I came home, showered and changed, and had a plan to head out for a walk before meeting up with colleagues from my previous school for a meal and a catch up.  The walk didn't happen in the end though... after my shower I was summoned! A wall had unexpectedly* come down in my house and so I had to spend the bit of free time I had this evening running up and down my stairs, moving bricks from a pile in a bedroom down to the skip and carting rubble sacks full of old plaster and such down too! On the plus side, I've really had my money's worth out of my skip. It's was already pretty full of all that garden waste and now there's a load of old bricks on top - I definitely won't be able to get anything else in there!  I ended up turning up at the pub wearing a layer of brick dust! That is why I will not move in to the house until all the work is completely finished. I've lived in a renovation project once, I've done brick dust and mess before and people like me don't cope well with it!

Once the bricks were dealt with, I managed a ten minute mooch in my garden, admiring raindrops, before heading to the pub, which is better than nothing for today. 






I'd planned, after my pre-dinner walk, to arrive at the pub early and have a drink outdoors. The brick moving meant that didn't happen either, so I had a cup of tea in the garden when I got home around 10pm and watched a couple of bats flying around overhead.



 *When I say unexpectedly, I don't mean a bit of the house fell down, this was planned work - I just didn't think it would be happening this week!  The first stage in the internal renovation is under way :)





A look back...

Last year I had a busy day so it was just a little bit of noticing nature...



On day 29 the previous year I made a journey stick and put up an bug house.









5 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel about moving into a house when lots of renovations are needed. We waited until most of the work was done before moving in. We also had to move a wall, though it was only a stud wall and it took longer than a day to shift all the rubble. Wish I had kept up our correspondence emails, feel I have missed so much x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have been hopeless at replying as I've been so busy! As you know, I had two house purchases fall through last year but finally found another one earlier this year and the sale completed with no hassle at all and quite quickly! The downstairs is already great (it was all redone not too long ago by the previous owners) and just needs some touching up and the floors re-staining before I move but they hadn't started on upstairs so I have quite a bit to do myself! It's going to be a busy summer! Not sure if I still have your email address but I can send you an update if I can find it!

      Delete
    2. I also need to catch up with your blog too - I'm hoping to have tomorrow at home for catching up!

      Delete
  2. I afraid that's not a parasitic wasp. The absence of a prominent waist means it's a sawfly, looks like one of the smaller species of tenthredinidae. I'm not even going to attempt a precise ID for one of them, too many look too similar! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you... I did think it looks a bit fly-ish! Clearly didn't pay enough attention to the GW feature two weeks ago!

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...