I had made wild plans for Saturday midweek which meant I needed to spend the evening of Day 10 driving to Anglesey so my wild time today was spent enjoying the scenery in Snowdonia. I took a longer route to come through Snowdonia, rather than a more direct route without the nice views!
I drove to Betws-y-Coed, stopping just before I reached it to enjoy the mountain views...
I also saw some thistles just coming into flower, plenty of raindrops and a caterpillar getting tucked up in a nettle leaf (peacock butterfly maybe, I don't know).
Then I took a little detour to a view point I knew of above Beddgelert as I was really enjoying being back in this area, remembering places I'd been when I camped for a week in Beddgelert in August 2006. Here, I heard a cuckoo calling.
From here I took the scenic Llanberis Pass and took in a view towards Dolbadarn Castle across Llyn Peris (another of the places I visited ten years ago) before heading for the Menai Bridge.
It was about 9 when I crossed the bridge into Anglesey but I wanted to see the sea before I went to the hotel so drove to Red Wharf Bay. The tide was out so I couldn't see much of the sea, but there were gulls and several herons and of course seaside-y smells!
I finally checked into The Bull at Llangefni (I'd recommend it) around 10pm!
![]() |
| Image from their website |
How did you go wild on Day 10?
Last year on Day 10 I visited the peregrine chicks on the rocks at Home




Magnificent views!
ReplyDeleteThe caterpillar... Peacock caterpillars are black with white spots and orange legs, but most importantly they build big communal webs over several plants as opposed to solitary tents. This looks like it's either red admiral or painted lady, but it appears to have multiple stripes so I'm swaying more towards painted lady. :-)
Thank you!
DeleteI thought peacocks were more spotty than mine looked to be and I did know they hung out in groups but was pretty tired last night when I was writing this post so I guess didn't think hard enough and just picked a species I knew that had black caterpillars, haha! I think it does look more like a painted lady, though it's not that easy to tell in my photo!