I've had a busy day but finally, I've woken up feeling better at last. I have energy today for the first time in just over a week! My feet have improved a bit too so I'm hoping my condition is on the way out properly now!
This morning I had to go over to Derbyshire Wildlife Trust HQ for an induction and to do a bit of paperwork. A few weeks ago I had an interview and they offered me a sessional job! This is the same kind of job I also have with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, casual work, a zero hours contract basically, where they don't have to give me any work and I don't have to accept what work they offer! Not a job that means I can quit my real job, but some welcome extra income and some more experience / learning opportunities for me.
It rained heavily all day long today, the first day of summer, and I was thinking my plan for reading a new book...
...in the garden would have to be shelved, but at about the same time I got back from school the sun came out!
As it's National Insect Week this week, I started off with a bit of garden bug hunting. I got as far as an ant and a fly (very exciting!) and a moth hiding in the holly section of hedge...
...before I was totally distracted by realising the garden was alive with little jumping froglets! One of these could well have been in my pint glass on Thursday, they still have bits of stumpy tails left.
There are still absolutely loads of tadpoles in the pond too, some less developed and some like the ones seen on Thursday, with four legs and a tail.
Perhaps this is the end of Tadpole Thursdays now. I'll have to see what I find on Thursday. Maybe I'll switch to Froglet Friday instead and try to capture a couple more weeks of the frogs growing up a little (if the crows etc. don't eat them all first!). It's been great following them for all these weeks though and seeing the little frogs emerge!
Whilst I was in the garden I also helped a very drowsy bee. It was in a sorry state, crawling around, unable to fly, perhaps a little soggy after all the rain. Here it was just hanging upside down on some clover, looking half dead.
I almost went to get some sugar solution but, to save myself a walk, I decided to try flowers first so I lifted the bee on to some corn chamomile.
After a while on the flower, it tried to fly away but just sort of nosedived into the grass, so I found a fresh looking clover and moved it to that and after a few more minutes feeding, I was delighted (and quite surprised) when the bee flew away looking fully recovered!
When I came indoors I did one more little act of wildness - I completed a survey for Back from the Brink. They want to know your views regarding saving UK Wildlife so if you have a few minutes, perhaps you could follow the link and complete the survey too. It doesn't take long.
Last year on Day 20 I visited The Deep and joined The Shark Trust...I guess that means it's time to renew membership! http://louises30dayswild.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/day-20.html



Oh look at the little froggies!!!!! So cute! And well done for helping that ragged-looking bee!x
ReplyDeleteLovely litle froglets! I spotted one in the garden the other days so we do have a few left. Glad you were able to help the bee to get back on its feet, or would that be wings? Glad you are feeling a little better and good news about the work at DWT:)
ReplyDeleteGlad you're feeling better! The froglets are so tiny aren't they, I remember having to dodge them all over the paths at a local reserve this time last year!
ReplyDeleteJust catching up on your posts, well done with the job, it might open new doors and finely you can start something new.
ReplyDeleteSorry you have not been feeling to good either.
Been out today, Tong park has a large pond/lake, you would not believe how many tadpoles there were. Huge swarms of them, it will be interesting when they leave.Nice to see how your tad's are doing, is it right that some can stay as tadpoles till next year ?
I too have been helping bees all week, not sure if they are just coming to their timely end, or the cold weather has caught them out.Will have a look at the link.
On my jollies next week so will catch up when I get back.
Amanda xx
Survey done!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're feeling better again and well done on the job front!! :-)
Love the little froglets and it's been so interesting seeing their progress. I've been trying to look for insects too with it being Insect Week, plus yoga in the garden for International Yoga Day - where do they come up with all these? Keeps us busy though. Congratulations on the job - I'm really hoping that it all leads to something more permanent in the end - you deserve it. X
ReplyDeleteHow cute little frogs!
ReplyDelete