Tadpole Thursday again! As you probably know, I've been following the development of tadpoles in the garden pond since early April when the spawn was laid and taking weekly photos of them. See last week's Tadpole Thursday post for a little more about that and a collage of the weekly photos.
So today's wild was a bit of pond dipping to check on the taddies. The pond water is a little greener and murkier this week and the tadpoles were super speedy, I mostly got blurred photos as they were whizzing around at a fair speed, but I did manage to get some photos. The legs are getting longer on quite a few of them now, though there are still lots who are only just starting to develop legs. I've also noticed a changed in the shape around the face in the ones with longer legs too, they're definitely loosing a bit of roundness and taking on a slightly more froggy shape at the head end.
All the tadpoles were carefully caught and contained for just a couple of minutes whilst I had a closer look at them and then returned safely to the pond. Of course I netted a few water boatmen each dip too!
I wasn't alone whilst I was at the pond... something else has been enjoying the garden lately (sunbathing and mowing the lawn) and has pretty much moved in and is strangely relaxed around people so doesn't run off the moment I open the door...
What did you do on Day 9?
Last year on Day 9 I got up very early to have a cup of tea with the dawn chorus




Enjoyed reading through you week of 30 days wild, interested in watching your tadpoles grow, mine are a little behind yours, but the legs are starting to grow. The tub which is my pond is quite shallow at one end with a gravel slope, I have noted they like to come onto here and sunbath in the morning sun. Had to put a grill over the top as the Blackbirds keep jumping in for a bath, I would have tadpoles all over the garden!
ReplyDeleteAmanda xx
I LOVE Tadpole Thursday!!! They are SO cute! I love their tiny skeletons and body parts are forming!x
ReplyDelete