Ever since I discovered frog spawn in the garden pond (for the first time in a couple of years) back in early April, I've been taking weekly photos of it and following the tadpoles progress, so Thursdays for the last couple of months have been my tadpoling day!
You'll find previous posts about the tadpoles on this blog in my 366 Days Wild posts but here's a collection of some weekly progress photos ...
Now that the tadpoles are bigger, more active and all over the pond, I can't get a decent photo of them without taking a few out. I fill a pint glass with pond water, fish out some tadpoles with a pond net and get them safely into the glass. I put them back into the pond as soon as I've had a look and taken a few photos.
This afternoon, I went through a few pints of tadpoles seeing the different stages they're at. Some are much smaller that others, some don't have little legs developing yet but on some you can clearly see the toes at the end of their tiny legs.
| If you enlarge this photo and the one below, you'll be able to see tadpole toes! |
I caught lots of lesser water boatmen today, as well as tadpoles. Last Thursday I caught a water hog louse. There's a whole range of other creatures living in the pond, as well as one adult frog and some newts.
As I had so much fun making them yesterday and it was a nice day for it, I also used a couple of pieces of the rush growing at one end of the pond to make a couple of boats and do some sailing!
And I spent my time in the garden barefoot, as is very often the case with me :)
Last year on Day 2 I walked on the rocks at Home in a wild wind!




Enjoyed the tadpole update. Liked how you said what you were doing on day 2 last year as well. Having looked back through mine for June 2015, I'm hoping we don't get as much rain! X
ReplyDeleteLovely to see the tadpole's coming on, will be interesting to see the change at the end of the 30 days. Have some in my small pod which I will take out and have a proper look, noticed there was some little snails in there last night, its amazing what you can find just in a small pond.
ReplyDeleteAmanda xx
Lovely to see the tadpoles here and the boat you made from the grasses / reeds was such a good idea! I'll be doing a weekly round-up post (just so I can fit it all in with work) and share what I've been up to. - Tasha
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the Thursday tadpoles! They are doing so well- the toeeeeees! x
ReplyDeleteMy 30 days wild has not been huge so far (except the first day) but I am trying!!
It doesn't need to be huge, the little moments are just a valuable :)
Delete