Pages

Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Day 21 - Looking under logs



A busy day today and so I found myself in the garden once again. I lifted up some logs in the log pile to see what was lurking. My finds were disappointing - I was hoping for much more than one woodlouse, one slug, one millipede, one harvestman and several worms - oh and a froglet!




I knew this was a kind of millipede by the legs (centipedes have one pair per segment, millipedes have two) but wasn't sure which kind but after a quick look I think it's Polydesmus angustus, a flat backed millipede.

I also admired the flowers growing in the garden. No mow negotiations were successful a couple of weeks ago and I now have a good size wild patch :)  Mowing of the lower lawn has also be suspended for a couple of weeks while the froglets are about too.  At the moment there is clover, birdsfoot trefoil and eyebright in my patch, as well as black meddick, daisies, buttercups and self heal just beginning to grow too.


Walking back up to the house, I spotted a tiny moth in a rose too, quite possibly the same kind I found a few weeks ago (on Day 4) all over the bilberry bushes, some tiny gold micro moth anyway.



How did you enjoy nature on Day 18?





 Last year's Day 21 was much wilder! 
I was seabird cruising around Bempton Cliffs, which is always good! 
I will be doing that again this year, but not until next month.








2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, even though you are disappointed by what you saw, id be very excited to see the millipede!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your no mow campaign was successful! Your lawn seems to have more variety than mine at the moment -'looks lovely. X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave a comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...