I stood under a Laburnum tree after school today for a little while watching bees and hoverflies visiting the flowers above.
A little later, I had a stroll in the garden. One of Sunday's roses had opened out a bit more...
I found some goosegrass as tall as me growing up within the hedge (not the piece pictured below, that was about half as tall as me!)
and I spotted this insect.... (it never stayed still so all the photos are out of focus).
I've not seen one of these in the garden before - I'm not sure what it is and haven't had a proper attempt at identifying it yet but would guess at some kind of sawfly.
Last year Day 14 was a mixed bag with wildflowers, pond life, grouse and golden plover and some well dressing - http://louises30dayswild.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/day-14.html



The insect is cool! I was always so scared of Laburnhams as a kid because I was told they were poisonous- there was one at the end of my street and I would hold my nose and mouth as I went past it!!
ReplyDeleteDid you identify the sawfly in the end?
ReplyDeleteNo. I thought it was quite distinctive but haven't been able to find a match yet. Admittedly, last week I was so tired I really didn't have the energy and spent more time sleeping than doing anything else I think! I will have another look sometime.
DeleteHope you start to feel better soon. :-(
DeleteI managed to get as far as it's a male tenthredopsis of some form, they all seem to look quite similar though!
Thank you for that, I was looking in one of insect books on Monday night and was leaning towards some kind of tenthredopsis, then I looked on the internet last night and was thinking male T. litterata, based on my fly looking exactly like the one in the third photo on this page - http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/tenthredopsis-litterata
Delete